Friday, March 8, 2013

End of Week 9

Dear all,

As week 9 draws to a close, there are several things on my mind which I would like to say to all of you.

It has been an emotionally draining week. Some things have happened with regards to some pupils. Looking back at your results and having to firmly reprimand most of you about it makes me feel saddened. It is indeed not easy this year as compared to last year. Some of you have confided in me about your problems both academically and also outside your work. Do know that you can always come to me and talk to me if you need help. I promise I will be here for you not just as your form teacher but as a listening ear and a friend for you. I do know that P6 is a tough year and this is probably your first exam. Your parents are pushing you that extra bit and I am also tough on you but I hope you see that it is from our hearts and not just pushing you for the sake of it all.

For both parents and pupils, I am beginning to see that most of the pupils are going through the phase of puberty. Some are finding their own identity and themselves while some are beginning to be conscious about themselves and being sensitive to words being said in class. Emotions wise, I have seen a rise in you being more emotional this year. I really urge all parents to spend time with their children as they go through this phase and with the stress and demands of the PSLE and expectations. The pupils really need the support of all parents, from simple things like how are you doing and how I can help you to talking to them about anything under the sun and spending time going out for a meal, shopping or sports. These will help them mentally and physically.

I have gone through P6 too and know the demands and expectations of how it is like to sit for the PSLE examinations. Papers after papers, advice after advice and alot of disciplining too. But when I look back, I do know that these are for my own good. If there was one thing I have truly learnt, it is to start revising earlier. It is not how much you do but how much you understand your work. So spend time going through the papers again. A paper should be done at least twice or more times until you have understood your mistakes.

The reason why I am so hard on you this year is because I need to motivate you and keep you in check in terms of discipline. It is very easy to be friendly and crack countless of jokes all the time but what do you truly learn? Will you be able to maintain your discipline if I tone down on my strictness and start to be more joyful and friendly? I believe very strongly in striking a balance. There is always a time to joke but the first priority is to make sure you improve and come out a better person by the end of the year. I do not expect 100% As and A*. As long as you really motivate yourself and do your best by working hard with the right attitude, even if you just pass your subjects, I am more than happy because I know you try. Of course, in an ideal world, my greatest hope is to see my A*, A's, B's and C's without any other grades.

I do still care and have always cared for each one of you. Next week, you will receive your individual feedback for the term as usual. Look at your feedback and use it it motivate you for further improvement next term alright.

Today's learning point:

We have started on Science (Interactions) and have completed the first activity in the workbook. It is a very lengthy book and there are several topics you need to learn and as such, we will begin today.


  • We learn that a force is a push or pull that acts on an object.
  • A push is going away from you while a pull is coming towards you. Note the directions.

  • We also learn about the 4 golden concepts that you MUST MUST MUST * know. 
  • A force will cause a stationary object (object at rest) to move. 
  • A force will change the direction of a moving object. (KEYWORD here is 'MOVING'. Without the word 'moving', it is a wrong concept)
  • A force will change the shape and size of an object.
  • A force will cause a moving object to come to a stop. 

  • A force cannot be seen. We can only see the effects of a force. 
We also carried out the first two experiments on the coin and glass cup and the magnets. What we do in life is highly related to forces. Forces help us do work. You must definitely know the 4 golden concepts as mentioned above. 

Look at the additional blog, 'A question a day' for some questions on forces.

Homework:

  1. English newspaper article
  2. Journal writing
Have a good weekend,
Sincerely,
Mr Nelson Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment