Friday, July 5, 2013

Encouragement goes a long way

Dear all,

It struck me hard to write an encouragement note to all of you here. As I was conversing with one of your subject teachers today, it struck me to hear some feedback that came from some of you. With regards to one subject, some of you told the teacher, "The subject cannot be passed," "Teacher, why do you try so hard. We can never pass this subject," "I have been failing since P4."

As a teacher, it makes us sad hearing those words. Our aim is to never to make anyone fail. Because if our aim is to make you fail, we would not even be teaching at all. The examinations will always be there, whether we like it or not. We cannot change that fact. We can only change our attitude and the way we study. Find techniques to study. Be more hardworking and positive. Accept criticisms and different ways of studying. If you are unsure of a particular concept or topic, ask and ask and ask again. That is one big issue. Many of you are afraid to ask. We do not seem intimidating, do we? More than often, I love answering questions you pose. If it isn't in class, you can always ask outside of the classroom.

It's only the first week but I am already feeling the stress - because of the time constraints and if I have more time, I definitely I can sharpen your skills and concepts. I wish I could buy more time but sadly, I can't. Now, much of the effort is on you. I can start to see more of you being more serious, listening to my explanations and making the effort to improve your work. I feel glad but sadly, there are still a few of you who need more motivation. I know that I cannot make all of you be 100% motivated. In a perfect world, I could make it happen but I still retain hope that through all the advice, motivation and through the realization that PSLE is highly important as your first major academic test, you will find your inner motivation to strive hard. Fight for what you want. It does not come easily to you.

As we took our class photo this week, it drove home the message that my primary school journey is coming to an end with you. It is the last lap and I do feel sad about it. The greatest gift I could get in return is to still achieve my 100% passes and to see all of you do well for PSLE in your own ways. Remember, it is not about all As. It is about giving your best and having no regrets when you give your best. Find yourself as you grow older and always give your best in all you do. To be able to make an impact for 2 years of your life is amazing indeed. Don't disappoint all the teachers who have placed their faith in you.

So, no more "We cannot pass! Why must we try so hard!?" You need to believe that you can. We live life to overcome challenges thrown to us and better our today each day. To all of us, each of you are tomorrow's leaders, worthy of the effort we put in. So work hard for the last lap.

Some videos for revision of Science:

Sincerely,
Mr Nelson Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment